Wednesday, November 02, 2005

A Passing Thought

"I think therefore I think I am." - Wendell Berry, "A Passing Thought", Given

I have finally broken down and started a blog. I guess an introduction is in order and perhaps a few remarks about the blog.
My name is Chris Allers. I am from Grant, MI but am currently in my first year of graduate school at the Institute for Christian Studies in Toronto, studying particularly the Philosophy of Religion.
My interests include, but are not limited to:
1. The Interconnectivity of Creation. Maintaining and enacting these connections.
2. The Importance of Place, Community, and Home. I am indebted to authors and scholars such as: Wendell Berry, Matt Bonzo, Steven Bouma-Prediger, Brian Walsh, Wes Jackson, John Inge, Edward S. Casey, etc.
3. Patriotism as "the love for one's place", not as an ideological, abstract love (?) of a vast space, a nomadic people, a present set of governmental leaders, abstract national ideals (that dissolve into the rhetoric of self-justification and self-righteousness), the market, a violent foreign policy...or whatever American Patriotism means.
4. Canonical/Narrative View of the Problem of Evil. Authors such as: Nik Ansell and Tom Wright.
5. The Covenant as power-sharing (as opposed to heteronomous).
6. The Interface between Neo-Calvinist Reformational Philosophy and the Western Philosophical Tradition.
7. Peaceableness. "If we are serious about peace, then we must work for it as ardently, seriously, continuously, carefully, and bravely as we have ever prepared for war." - Wendell Berry, "A Citizen's Response", Citizenship Papers.
8. Agrarianism.
9. Music. From Led Zepplin to Pedro the Lion, James Taylor to Nada Surf, Bob Dylan to Ozma.
10. Joking around. If you come to this site looking for serious, intellectual conversation, you may be let down at times. You are welcome to joke around with the rest of us, or you can check back at another time for conversation that may better satisfy your intellectual hunger.

I like other things too.

In summary, I will post whatever is on my mind.

One last thing, I am interested in hearing your thoughts. However, if you are not a registered user, please leave your name (or some name or whatever) so that responses can be directed to you easily and so all can identify who the responses are directed toward.
Call yourself Jim, Hog Willy Magoo, or even "Socrates is Identical". I don't care.

1 comment:

Chris said...

What's amoebic dysentary?
Diarrhea forever?
Why would you want mommy to die?