Wednesday, October 04, 2006

German

Apparently no one checks my blog anymore, but I don't really care. If I keep writing posts on this blog, is it like talking to myself? If it is, I don't really care.
Anyway, I started learning how to read German last Wednesday. Today, I had my second German class. I've had a great time learing Nominative, Accusative, Genitive, and Dative cases, and the corresponding articles for Masculine, Feminine, Neutral, and Plural. Anyway (again), German is a weird language (but its not like English isn't weird). It seems that Germans don't like to use the space bar or move their hand over between nouns. These are called compound nouns. One such compound noun I learned this week was (are you ready for this?)..."staatsangestelltenkrankheitsversicherungsgesellschaft". Yes, that's one word! It means: State Employees health insurance company, and yes, it has 55 letters!
What is it with Germans and spaces? Do they not get along?

4 comments:

Mark said...

You know, I check your blog. Is that creepy?

I'm curious to know what you think of Fromm's conclusions/points.

Chris said...

Someone checks my blog! I'm just wondering who this is...a contributor to Camshafts (so I'm assuming some connection to ICS) and likes good music. I'll guess Ken Dam. Am I right?

I find the Freudian reading of religion (as the need for a father figure in the face of alienation) very interesting. But I don't think a collective fantasy satisfaction is what kept Christianity so prevelant for 2000 years.
I also find the change in Christology from the early community to Paul and then the Catholic Church very interesting. Was Christ pre-eminent, I don't know? It's something that I have been wrestling with for awhile. Fromm has an intriguing argument, but beyond that, I don't know.

Mark said...

Thank you for your response, and thank you for calling my music tastes "good."

I am not Ken Dam. I, unlike his (Ken's) sweet self, am from the Greatest Country in the World. I used to make love to Jeff, and now I'm making love to you. I don't mean that sexually.

Fromm's reading is interesting to me, too. While I'm by no means fluent in the the parlance of psychoanalysis, I think I may describe Fromm's account of that history (i.e., of Christianity, or religion in general), in generally similar terms.

Thanks for sharing.

Chris said...

Mark,
It's been awhile, man.
I don't know the parlance of psychoanalysis either. But I think it is a really interesting article.